Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


  1. What is the difference between Cultural Exchange Program (CEP) & Cultural Representative Program (CRP)?
    Program Cultural Exchange Program (CEP) Cultural Representative Program (CRP)
    Duration Around 10 weeks in summer Around 12 months
    Eligibility All HKBU NON-Final year undergraduate students who is at least 18 years old at the time of application submission All HKBU Final year undergraduate students who is at least 18 years old at the time of application submission
    Application Period Around August to September Around January to February

  2. What would I gain from the Internship?
    • Discover what makes Disney a world leader in the guest service & entertainment
    • Connect with people from across the globe via working and living in Disney
    • Be immersed in an English-speaking environment
    • Gain valuable leadership, presentation and customer service skills – all things that Disney is known for worldwide
    • Create lifelong memories

  3. How can I know more about the actual working and living experience from previous participants?
    Please visit Disney International Program Youtube Channel for more videos and presentations.

Cultural Exchange Program (CEP)

  1. What is the selection process for CEP?
    All applicants have to go through the 1st round selection (by the Office of Off-Campus Learning, Faculty of Social Sciences, HKBU). Shortlisted applicants will be proceed to the 2nd round selection interview in November which is conducted by the Recruiter of the Disney International Recruiting. The final results will be announced by the end of December.

  2. What are the selection criteria?
    Participants should possess the following criteria:
    • Be able to speak fluent English
    • Be mature and independent to work and live overseas
    • With cheerful, enthusiastic, friendly, proactive characters and flexible working attitude
    • Attend all the events listed in the program calendar
    • What should I consider before submitting an application?
      • Ensure you can commit to the entire internship period.
      • Ensure you are physically fit to work outdoor under the sun with no air-conditioning and may stand for long hours.
      • You should have the ability to be responsible for all the financial expenses incurred (Program fee, air ticket, visa fee, etc.) For details, please refer to the estimated expenses in the Program Factsheet for reference.
      • You should be willing to share a bedroom/living apartment with other participants.
  1. If I am shortlisted from the 1st round selection, what do I need to do for the next step?
    Shortlisted applicants must attend at least one workshop plus one mock interview / two workshops, before proceeding to the 2nd round selection interview. Students should always follow the instructions provided by the Faculty of Social Sciences as well as the Disney International Recruiting to complete all required procedures in timely manner.

  2. What do I need to commit once I applied for the Program?
  • Follow instructions from the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Disney International Recruiting to complete the procedures and provide relevant information as required. Attend all related events listed in the Program schedule, including Pre-Departure Briefing and Kick-Off Ceremony
  • Commit the entire internship period
  • Submit the online Final Report with photos and a Performance Feedback Form (to be completed by your supervisor from Disney) after the completion of internship.

  1. What is the assignment mechanism of the job positions of the internship?
    Applicants can indicate their preferred positions during the application stage. The final position offered will be decided by the Disney recruiter based on vacancy and applicants’ suitability.

  2. Where will I live during the internship period?
    Participants will be assigned to live in apartment complexes located near Walt Disney World Resort with transportation provided to and from work. Housing costs are automatically deducted from participants' weekly paycheck. Participants have apartments assigned to them prior to their arrival based on preferences they express through Disney's housing pre-registration system - DORMS. Approximately 10 days prior to arrival, participants will receive an email message with a link to DORMS, in which they will be able to indicate their preferences for apartment complex and unit size, and possibly also indicate the name(s) of individuals with whom they would like to live.

  3. Is there any subsidy for the program?
    Participants are reminded to be responsible for all the financial expenses incurred for the programs and participants will receive remuneration for the internship job. There is no subsidy to be provided by the Faculty of Social Sciences. Participants may consult the Office of Student Affairs or your major Department for any possible subsidy.

  4. How can I apply for CEP?
    Interested and eligible students should submit the application via the HKBU USA Disney Internship Online System by the deadline with all required information.

  5. Do I need to apply for a Traveling Visa for the internship?
    Participants need to apply for the J-1 summer work /travel visa in around April and May before departure. Application procedures will be provided during the Pre-Departure Briefing.

  6. Is there any insurance coverage for this overseas internship? Do I need to purchase insurance by myself?
    In order to meet the J-1 visa requirement, Disney mandatorily requires all CEP-Summer participants to purchase a medical insurance for the length of the program (from a designated insurance company suggested by Disney International Recruiting). Details will be provided by Disney directly to the participants 1-2 months before departure.
    In addition, the Group Travel Insurance contracted by HKBU with Zurich Insurance Company Limited automatically covers the exact duration of the internship period for all HKBU CEP-summer participants. Students can extend the insurance period at their own expenses if needed. More details can be found from the HKBU Finance Office website.

  7. Can I withdraw from the Program after application?
    All shortlisted applicants are expected to commit the Program once they are shortlisted for the 2nd round selection on-site interview. All withdrawal after this stage would be regarded as late withdrawal. Since no replacement can be arranged for the sudden vacant place with the limited interview quota, late withdrawal cases deprived others from being selected for this overseas internship. Such cases will be reported to participants’ Department/Faculty/School concerned. Thus, students should consider seriously if they can commit the entire internship period before submitting the application.

  8. If I apply for academic exchange in the next academic year right after Disney’s summer internship, what should I consider?
    If you apply for overseas exchange program in the next academic year (1st semester / full academic year) following the Disney’s summer internship, you must plan in advance to ensure there is no time clash with the important dates of both programs. You are advised to check with the International Office of HKBU or relevant exchange program organizer your expected arrival date for exchange and your student exchange visa processing time. If you foresee that the Disney internship period clashes with the commencement date of your exchange program or there is not enough time for your processing of exchange visa at respective Consulate/Embassy in Hong Kong, you are advised not to apply for this program as Disney strictly requires all participants to commit the entire internship period.

  9. Can I gain any credit unit from participating in the CEP?
    The CEP is a non-credit bearing internship in HKBU. However, students’ participation of the program will be recorded in the Student Development Portfolio (SDP) after internship completion.

Cultural Representative Program (CRP)

  1. What is the selection process for CRP?
    Differ from the Cultural Exchange Program, there is no internal shortlisting interview for CRP. Applicants will be required to send their personal information to the Office of Off-Campus Learning via email and the Office will transfer the applicants’ information to Disney International Recruiting, who will will directly communicate with applicants for application and interview arrangement.

  2. How to apply for the CRP Program?
    Applicants should send information required to by the said deadline.