Student Experiential Learning Grant (SELG)
To encourage Social Sciences students to seek non-academic learning experience across the variety of diverse activities, the Faculty of Social Sciences has set up the Student Experiential Learning Grant (SELG). This Grant will provide financial support for students engaging in non-local experiential learning opportunities.
Who is eligible?
- Students who are studying the UGC-funded undergraduate programmes offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences, HKBU, with a cumulative GPA of 2.33 or above.
- Students who will graduate prior to the experience taking place are NOT eligible.
- Students may submit only one application at a time.
- Priority will be given to the first application of Individual/Group.
What activities are eligible?
Non-local activities in which the individual applicant / small group is actively participating. This might include:
- Internship / Placement
- Field Trip / Study Tour
- Training Course / Workshop
- Research Project
- Community Project
- Conference / Seminar
Diversity of the above activities is highly recommended.
Applicant should invite a teaching staff (normally from the Major Department) to be the Mentor/Advisor of the proposed activity. Application should be reviewed by the Mentor/Advisor and recommended by the Department before submitting to the Faculty.
What activities/budget items are ineligible?
Normally the following items are NOT considered for funding:
- Activity from a Major / graduation required / credit-bearing course
- Food or beverages
- Equipment (e.g. computer, software, furniture, books, audio-visual equipment, etc.)
- Payment for the guest speakers, volunteer or research participants
- Medical or legal costs for the experience (e.g. vaccinations, passports, travel insurance, etc.)
- Activity for which the student will receive remuneration
- Activity for which the student will receive / has received funding from other sources
- Retroactive funding for experiences commencing or project expenses incurred prior to the deadline of application
- Activity for which the student has received previous Student Experiential Learning Grant (SELG)
- Activity for which students cannot provide individual itemized receipts for grant expenses incurred
What is the level of funding?
|Type||Approved Grant||Maximum Amount (HK$)|
|Individual||50 – 70 % of the estimated cost||HK$ 3,000|
|Group (3-5 students)||50 – 70 % of the estimated cost||HK$ 10,000|
What items would be granted?
- Travelling expenses
- Accommodation expenses
- Registration fees
Please refer to the Guidelines for more details.
APPROVAL OF GRANT
Each application will be evaluated by the Faculty Learning and Teaching Policy Advisory Committee (FLTPAC) based on the following items as well as overall quality.
- Provide a complete description of the planned experience
- Describe the benefit of your academic studies or personal development from the proposed experience
- Describe your action plans to achieve your learning objectives (feasibility and ability to undertake the activity will be considered)
- Reflect on the possible impact this experience will have on you and others beyond yourself
- Provide a detailed budget proposal (actual breakdown with receipts after completion)
- Applicants may be invited for interview.
- The grant approval criteria are subject to review every year.
SELG, AY2017/18 (1st Round) now opens for application!
Applicants should submit the followings to the Faculty Office by email to email@example.com before the application deadline:
- A completed Application Form
- Quotations of proposed expenses
- Any other relevant supporting documents
|Round||Eligible Activity Dates||Application Deadline||Download Guidelines||Download Application Form|
|Between 1 September 2017 – 31 January 2018
Activity out of this period will NOT be considered
|11 April 2017|
- Incomplete / late application will NOT be considered.
- Individual / group applications submitted with same activity proposal stated in Section B (1-8) of the Application Form will NOT be approved.
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Miss Elyse LIU
- Tel : (852) 3411 7118
- E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office : AAB 1325C, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus, HKBU